Saturday, September 14, 2019

Octominoes!

Well, this was an utter ordeal. I used the same method as my last little failed attempt at an octomino construction, the whole two MS Paint windows deal, but with a slightly differently shaped rectangle (20x148 this time, with eight holes, six of which are due to the holey octominoes.) And this time I ran into a different set of problems. I got about 90% of the way through the construction and did the usual sanity check, counting the amount of free area left and praying it divides by eight and I haven't drawn a heptomino (or a nonomino* for that matter) in there anywhere by mistake.

I counted 168 unit squares remaining. So far so good. But then I counted the remaining octominoes. And got 21. And 23x8 is not 168. Something was afoot, but it being fairly late on Friday night (because I lead such an exciting life...) I was far too tired to work out exactly what was up. so I hit the hay and resolved to see what was up tomorrow.

Oddly enough, as I was falling asleep I had some kind of major tetris effect going on, seeing endless visions of octominoes fitting together in various ways all wiggly like; a veritable kama sutra for tetris blocks. And, as I'd been reading a fair bit on organic chemistry recently, in my bizarre sleep-deprived state I was also fruitlessly trying to assign the 'systematic name' to each octomino based on the way it branched and twisted, not quite awake enough to notice that the octomino was not in fact a molecule.

Well, the next morning and with a fresh pair of eyes, I took another look at the almost-complete rectangle and couldn't immediately spot any foul play just by eyeballing it. My guess was that I'd somehow used a piece twice, forgot to cross it off the 'used bits' list the first time round. And so began the laborious task of verifying this - getting a fresh image of all the octominoes up, then crossing each one off as I highlighted it in my construction. And if I found one that had been previously used... well, I'd cross that bridge when I came to it.

And so it transpired I had inadvertently duplicated two pieces. Thankfully, they were both right near the bottom of the construction; I only had to backtrack about 15 pieces to be back in a state where the rest was solvable. I guess I had started to get a bit careless just as I was becoming too tired to think properly and in hindsight it was lucky I called it a night when I did on the Friday. So I continued (being just a little more careful this time) and managed to get the rest of the pieces in without incident.

Of course I used FlatPoly2 as a further sanity check when I had about 12 pieces left, just to make sure I hadn't solved myself into an impossible endgame. And in running that check I might have accidentally glimpsed the position of two or three pieces that allowed a solution. But I did the rest of it. All by hand! And it only took me, what, six hours or so? (Actually, putting it that way, it feels like a colossal waste of time I could have spent doing something useful, but...)

Anyway, here it is, in all its glory:

Fig. 1: All 369 octominoes in a 20x148 rectangle with symmetrically placed holes. Not pictured: enough blood, sweat and tears to fill an Olympic swimming pool.
All of this points to one thing - I need to get myself a physical set of octominoes by any means necessary. It's a little bit harder to use a shape twice when you've only got one of 'em to hand.

---

* Or is it 'enneomino'? I think I've seen both but I can't decide which I prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment