Sunday, October 13, 2019

Heptominoes Miscellany

A few more heptominoes type things I've done recently, since lots of small posts is easier than one big post. Again, nothing particularly groundbreaking here.

Here's a 11x71 with 25 holes arranged in a central grille:


I solved the middle bit first seeing as it put the most restriction on pieces that could be used. Then built the left side (using up a handful of nice useful 2x2-blocky pieces in the process), then the right hand side. I don't know whether it's possible to do a 23x35 with a grid of 49 internal holes. The maths says yes but the pieces themselves might not allow it.

And here's an 11x69 rectangle with 3 holes.


I think I'm getting the hang of rectangles now; the biggest challenge here seemed to be finding a surface long enough to construct it on. Next time I think I'm going to have to try my hand at putting together some more involved figures, and confront my fear of building things with diagonal edges. (I mean, it can't be that hard can it? Look at how many heptominoes have got those wiggly zig-zag edges anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment