Monday, February 26, 2024

Enneiamonds Again

A breakthrough, of sorts. This was the first time I managed to solve something with the full set of enneiamonds without having to resort to any kind of help from computer solvers or anything to knock in the last few pieces. The last few solves I did with them there was always a little bit of 'cheating' going on, not necessarily using the computer so fully solve the end of the puzzle but to check that a solution existed with the pieces I had remaining. But none of that this time. The training wheels are off.

Solve time took a while, but it was lots of short bursts spread out over a week or so. The first 80% of it (solving left to right) came in one sitting, probably an hour or so, then the end was just twenty minutes or so here and there, between university and other things, often getting all but one piece in there. And then today, by fluke more than design I'm sure, I hit upon a solution.

(That one little green unit triangle is there to mark 50 units along the top edge - I'd started off with more there, marking out every ten rows so I didn't build to the wrong dimensions like I have a habit of doing - but as the region between 50 and 60 units was the hardest to complete that marker stuck around and I guess I forgot to tidy it up.)

Here's a nicer image of the full thing, because the photo isn't exactly clear when there's two or more pieces of the same colour bordering each other. Clear acrylic would have solved this, but hindsight and all that.

Fig. 1: The completed trapezium.

No comments:

Post a Comment