Yonks ago I wrote a post about 4xn constructions with the hexominoes, which ended with suggesting a 4x53 with symmetrical placement of holes should be possible. Well, I found one:
Amazingly, the entire solution took all of three minutes by hand. I must have just been insanely lucky and hit on a solution on practically the first try, because I was prepared for this to take quite a while.
I guess they're not technically 'holes' when they're on the very edge of the construction but it looks nice so I don't mind really. And for an additional bonus, it's three-colourable and has no 4-way crossroads where four pieces meet at a point. That wasn't even my intention while solving it, it's just how it turned out. Rrrresult!
Found a mistake. Using Kadon's naming system, the High-F piece was used twice and the D piece was not used.
ReplyDeleteTook me a little while but I figured out what I had done wrong - it was a mistake drawing the solution up digitally. Had me worried for a second because I'll've solved this with an actual set of pieces and was scared that my set (and all the other solutions using it) was faulty. I'll switch the image in the post over and no-one will ever know, shh...
Delete